THE family of a young woman who died suddenly after a night out believe she was drugged and "was in the wrong place at the wrong time".
Leanne McCloskey (23) fell ill after a night out in Belfast at the weekend. She returned to Drogheda, Co Louth, and was later rushed to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital where she died on Wednesday evening.
A post mortem was carried out yesterday, but toxicology tests will now have to be completed before the cause of death is determined.
Her heartbroken brother, Ross, announced her death on his Facebook page, saying: "At 7pm 17th April my beautiful baby sister passed away." He thanked friends and family for their "kind wishes and prayers".
Her family suspect that she was drugged. Her uncle, Martin McCloskey, told the Irish Independent that her parents, Leo and Alice, are "very upset over this", adding: "There's no way Leanne would take anything like that."
He said he didn't know what drug was involved, but reiterated: "She doesn't smoke or take anything. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."
On Wednesday, gardai carried out a number of searches in Drogheda and seized small quantities of ecstasy and cocaine. Officers arrested a local man in his 20s under the Misuse of Drugs Act.
He was questioned at Drogheda station and later released without charge. A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions, who will determine if criminal charges should be brought.
A former student at the Sacred Heart School in Drogheda, Ms McCloskey lived in nearby Mornington, Co Meath, and worked in the local Dunnes Stores.