Family of body parts man found at recycling plant offer reward for information
Published 26/07/2015 | 10:46
The family of a man whose body was found at a Dublin recycling plant last year have offered a substantial reward for information on the case.
Mark Burke (37) was last seen staying at a shelter for the homeless in Dun Laoghaire, on July 28 2014, three days before human remains were discovered at Thornton's recycling plant in Ballyfermot, Dublin.
However it was three months before Mark's partner Tina Evans (38) and their seven children, aged 11 - 18, were told that the body parts were the remains of their family member, the Irish Sun on Sunday reports.
Gardaí have said they are treating the homeless man's death as "suspicious".
Tina said the circumstances by which Mark met his death were "pure evil."
"It was a cowardly, sadistic and brutal attack on a completely innocent person.
"He wasn't just Mark a homeless man.
He was a father, a son, a brother, he was a good person," she said.
Mark's father, Noel Burke, described Mark as a "gentle giant" who had "never harmed anyone in his life."
Gardaí believe the information they need to make a breakthrough in the case may lie within the homeless community, and made a fresh appeal on last month's Crimecall for anyone with information to come forward.
To date, the case has generated 608 lines of enquiry and Gardaí have taken 550 statements.