Family of assaulted French doctor break their silence
Published 20/08/2011 | 05:00
THE family of a young French doctor fighting for his life after being attacked in Dublin's Temple Bar last weekend yesterday broke their silence with a heartfelt expression of thanks to everyone who has been helping them.
Guillaume Osterstock remains in a stable but critical condition since suffering multiple fractures to his skull when he was set upon in the early hours of Sunday morning in the Temple Bar area of the city.
After travelling to Ireland to keep a bedside vigil, his family said they could not understand why anyone would carry out such a vicious assault on the 26-year-old medic.
In a statement, they said: "What has happened to him is simply incomprehensible to us."
The family described Guillaume as a friendly young man and and a dedicated, hard-working doctor.
"We wish to thank everyone in Ireland for their expressions of concern and support at this difficult time," they added.
"Our thanks go to the gardai for their assistance, to the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, which has been most supportive, and most especially to the medical team looking after Guillaume.
"They have been fantastic and we know he is in safe and caring hands."
The Osterstock family also thanked Guillaume's and their own friends both in Ireland and France for their concern and support.
They confirmed that his condition remained stable but critical at Beaumont Hospital where he is being treated, and where he had worked as a locum doctor.
Mr Osterstock came to Ireland in October last year to pursue his PhD studies at the Royal College of Surgeons.
Two men were arrested after the attack at 12.45am on Sunday.
One of them, a Canadian man, Simon Mercier (23), of Avenue Compognon, Quebec, was charged in Dublin District Court with assault causing harm.
The second man, in his 20s, was later released without charge and a file was sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.