Sunday 28 December 2014

Family hoping for answers as bog search for 'Disappeared' resumes.

Elaine Keogh

Published 28/08/2014 | 02:30

Staff of the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims’ Remains carrying out a geophysical surgery at Oristown bog in Kells, Co Meath, in the search for the body of missing man Brendan Megraw.
Staff of the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims’ Remains carrying out a geophysical surgery at Oristown bog in Kells, Co Meath, in the search for the body of missing man Brendan Megraw.
Staff examining their ground penetrating radar readings as they searched for signs of disturbed ground at Oristown bog.

The decision to revisit a Meath bog where the remains of a man abducted by the IRA 36 years ago were secretly buried has "come as a bit of a shock", according to his family.

Sean Megraw's brother Brendan was just 23 years old when he was abducted from Twinbrook, Belfast, before being murdered and buried in Oristown bog.

He said the family is both hopeful and apprehensive about the outcome, as the latest ground penetrating radar was yesterday used to survey more than five acres of the bog.

He said: "We didn't think anything would start without there being fresh information."

The site is accessed by a single lane rural road and is as isolated now as it would have been when Mr Megraw was abducted in April 1978.

Sean said: "We are hopeful that this will lead to the end of it and we will get Brendan back. We are apprehensive because it could be another fruitless search.

"It is 15 years since we were told he was buried at the bog and since then it has been a hunt to find where it is located.

The results of the survey will influence whether a new search, which will be the fourth since 1999, will begin.

Earlier this year an exhibition about the Disappeared was hosted in Drogheda and Mr Megraw said, "I feel perhaps the exhibition led to fresh information being given to the commission."

At the opening of the exhibition, Geoff Knupfer, the lead investigator with the ICLVR, said: "We would like to think we will have some success in this coming year."

Seventeen people were 'disappeared' between 1972 and 2003. Seven bodies have yet to be recovered Separate searches have also taken place on bogland a few miles from the Oristown site, near Wilkinstown, for Kevin McKee and Seamus Wright, both of whom were taken by the IRA in October 1972.

It is also suspected Joseph Lynskey, a former Cistercian monk taken from west Belfast in summer 1972, was buried in the region.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News