Facial surgery for teen hurt in bus stop attack
A DUBLIN schoolboy had to have facial surgery following a brutal unprovoked attack close to his home.
Seamus Doyle O Droigneain (14) was violently punched in the eye and knocked to the ground in front of his girlfriend.
His attacker, who wore a hood over his head, then escaped in a waiting car being driven by another man.
The disturbing incident took place at a bus shelter at De Selby on Blessington Road in Tallaght.
“He was just down there at a bus stop with his girlfriend.
“A man came up from the bushes beside it and hit him in the face with his fist and jumped into a car. He (Seamus) was knocked to the ground,” the teenager's mother Ann Doyle told the Herald.
“He's 14 years of age. He never gets into any trouble.”
The thug who hit her son was described as being a lot taller and was wearing a grey Adidas hooded top pulled up over his head. The attack left the schoolboy with a fractured eye socket and broken cheekbone.
He underwent surgery at St James's Hospital facial trauma clinic last Thursday.
Seamus was sore after the operation in which medics “put his cheek bone back up” into position and “stitched him from the ear to the lip”, Ann said.
The swelling made him look like he has a tennis ball on his face, she told the Herald. Seamus trains as a boxer but he will be out of action for a while.
“He can't go to school for another couple of weeks and will not be able to do boxing until after Christmas.
“He's actually a good boxer. He never had anything like this in the ring,” said Ann, who works in a local childcare centre. Speaking about her son's reaction to the attack, she added: “To be honest, he's just in shock. He doesn't know why (it happened).
“He never said anything to anyone or did anything to anyone. It was random or mistaken identity. I honestly don't know.”
The attack happened on Sunday, September 8, at around 9.10pm.
The perpetrator is described as being in his mid-20s, about 6ft tall and having black hair. He escaped in a blue Volkswagen Polo, said Ann.
She has been very upset since the incident, she told the Herald.
“I'm just heartbroken. I can't get my head around it. I've never cried as much. I think all last week, every day, I cried when I looked at him. He was consoling me, saying it was going to be grand,” Ann said.
She is concerned because her son is missing out on a lot of school and he will be sitting his Junior Cert in June.
“He's not been out. He won't go out. He doesn't want to show his face off,” Ann said.
A Garda spokesman confirmed they are investigating an incident of assault causing harm which took place at a bus shelter on Blessington Road on September 8.
He said the investigation is ongoing and no one had been arrested so far.