Thursday 29 September 2016

Extradition considered

Published 10/08/2015 | 02:30

Detectives investigating the murder of a mother-of-three in Northern Ireland are considering seeking the extradition of a man arrested in Donegal last week.

  • Go To

Jennifer Dornan (30) was found stabbed to death in her burning house in west Belfast last Sunday.

A 37-year-old man detained by gardaí in Co Donegal on Friday on an unrelated matter is understood to be a suspect in the murder.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said they are no longer looking for anyone in the region in relation to the killing.

Passport delays

THE introduction of passport cards has been delayed by two months following a change in how they will be manufactured.

Foreign Affairs Minister Charlie Flanagan had said the credit card-sized innovation, which can be used to travel in countries in the EU and European Economic Area, would be available to buy for €35 from July.

However, the department now says that in order to "improve the durability of the card" the polycarbonate structure will be altered and the cards won't appear until mid to late September.

Shot fired at house

GardaÍ have arrested a man after a shot was fired at a house over the weekend.

The man, who is his 40s, was arrested by gardaí in Kells, Co Meath, yesterday shortly before 5pm and was taken to Kells Garda Station, where he was detained under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

A gun was fired at a house in the Archdeaconery area of the town on Saturday afternoon. No one was injured in the incident.

Gardaí recovered a firearm in a follow-up search in the Carrick Street area of Kells.

PSNI attacked

Police came under attack after stopping a contentious republican parade entering Belfast city centre.

The halting of the anti-internment march in a nationalist area in the north of the city passed off without incident yesterday.

However, officers were forced to deploy water cannon an hour later when a crowd threw petrol bombs, stones and bottles at them.

The parade had originally been granted permission by the Parades Commission to pass through the city centre, but only before 1.30pm.

The restriction was imposed by the Government-appointed adjudication body to minimise disruption to city life.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News