News Irish News

Monday 25 September 2017

'Every precaution put in place for car race'

Edel O'Connell

MOTORSPORT Ireland says every safety procedure had been put in place ahead of yesterday's tragic rally, which claimed the lives of two people.

Two separate inquiries are under way after a rally car plunged into a group of 30 spectators -- killing two and injuring five in Co Cavan.

Jim Reilly, event organiser with the Co Cavan Motor Club, said all safety precautions had been followed prior to the rally, but admitted that rally car driving was a "dangerous sport".

He said fully-trained marshals were on duty and the course itself had been marked out with dangerous areas taped off.

"90pc of our efforts and our resources go into ensuring the safety of these events. The race is a high-speed race.

"All of the sections of the road are cordoned off prior to the start of the race. All of the dangerous junctions are taped using safety tape," he said.

"There are signs put in place to alert spectators that it is unsafe to stand in certain spots," he added.

Yesterday's tragedy is the latest to have devastated the sport in recent years.

Teenage rally fan Richard O'Donnell (18), from Strabane, was killed as he tried to cross a country road during the Donegal International Rally in 2008.

Two years ago, co-driver Thomas Maguire died in a crash, and in 2002 two stewards were also killed, all in the Donegal rally.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News