Eleven gardaí to be promoted as Tánaiste moves to fill vacancies
A raft of Garda promotions will be announced today after the Cabinet agreed that gaps in the senior ranks should be filled immediately.
Following controversy over the significant numbers of vacancies in the force, Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald sought the approval of Cabinet to sign off on the appointments.
Responsibility for garda appointments will shift from the Cabinet to the new Policing Authority from December 31.
It means, in total, one new assistant commissioner, three chief superintendents and seven superintendents have been appointed.
The 11 senior appointments will fill existing vacancies at National, Divisional and District level.
"The Government is determined that there is no undue delay filling critical Garda vacancies and is determined to ensure that An Garda Síochána has a leadership team that can address the serious challenges that it faces every day in maintaining law and order," Ms Fitzgerald said.
Garda management were last night informing the 11 officers of their promotions and assigning roles.
Independent Alliance Minister Sean Canney said the appointments "show common sense has prevailed".
"The filling of these vacancies is a pragmatic move to ensure gardai are in the best position to manage the force," Minister Canney said.
He said moving forward on the senior Garda appointments was something he had been seeking for some time.