Main promises of Fine Gael manifesto
A look at the Fine Gael manifesto
- Abolish the USC by 2021 and introduce a 5pc tax on income over €100,000.
- Lower entry point for employees’ PRSI by €5,000 to €13,000.
- Increase the Earned Income Tax Credit for the self-employed by €1,650.
- Increase the threshold for inheritance tax on the transfer of the family home from €280,000 to €500,000.
- Hold another ‘The Gathering’ in 2019 to boost tourism.
- Ensure 93pc of patients are dealt with in A&Es within six hours.
- Add 4,400 frontline service staff by 2021, including 600 hospital consultants, doctors and dentists, and 2,800 nurses.
- Reduce the maximum annual cost of medicines from €1,728 to €950.
- Introduce a sugar tax which will add 10 cents to a can of mineral.
- Ban alcohol sponsorship of events targeted at children and introduce minimum unit pricing.
- End the need for rough sleeping
- Increase the output of new housings to 25,000 a year by 2021.
- Establish a code of conduct for switching mortgage provider.
- Amend planning laws to encourage the construction of more student accommodation.
- Introduce a new scheme to help people in mortgage arrears to access independent expert financial and legal advice.
- €27 and €12 per week increases in Job Seekers’ Benefit for the first three and six months respectively.
- An extra eight weeks’ paid leave entitlement to be available.
- Increase the State pension by at least €25 by 2021.
- Increase the minimum wage to €10.50 per hour.
- Review the compulsory retirement age.
- Fine Gael will not close any school against the wishes of parents.
- Hire 852 teachers and reduce pupil-teacher ratio for junior and senior infants from 28:1 to 18:1.
- Introduce in-school speech and language therapy service.
- Pilot new subjects like computer science and make PE a leaving cert subject.
- Increase the mandatory schooling age to 17.