Elderly couple found in flat died from hypothermia
Published 15/01/2013 | 18:46
A COUPLE found huddled together in a senior citizens complex died from hypothermia and continuing health problems, it emerged tonight.
John "Little Elvis" Glennon and Debbie McEvoy were found dead in the Drumalee Court flat in Stoneybatter, Dublin, yesterday.
Dublin City Council owns the complex where 67-year-old Mr Glennon lived.
The pair, who were discovered huddled together on the bedroom floor of the property, are believed to have been dead for a number of days before they were found.
A post-mortem ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning and revealed both had health problems when they died from hypothermia.
Temperatures in the city dropped to as low as minus 2.4C on Sunday morning.
Mr Glennon was originally from the midlands and had lived in the flat for about eight years.
Ms Evoy, 63, was a former nurse from Newry, Co Down, who also lived in Dublin's north inner city.
The pair were well known and well liked in the locality.
In January 2010, mother-of-two Rachel Peavoy died of hypothermia alone in her council flat in Ballymun. An inquest returned a verdict of death by misadventure.