Friday 30 September 2016

Row breaks out as new school opening delayed for year

Published 27/08/2015 | 02:30

Education Minister Jan O'Sullivan accused Educate Together of 'a misplaced effort to apportion blame for the consequences of their own decisions'
Education Minister Jan O'Sullivan accused Educate Together of 'a misplaced effort to apportion blame for the consequences of their own decisions'

A furious row has broken out after Educate Together decided not to go ahead with the opening of a primary school in Castlebar, Co Mayo, next week.

  • Go To

The new multi-denominational school was supposed to represent a small, but significant step towards the provision of greater choice in the primary sector.

But Educate Together announced last night that it was deferring the opening until 2016, blaming the Department of Education for not providing convenient and appropriate accommodation.

In a fiery retort, Education Minister Jan O'Sullivan accused Educate Together of "a misplaced effort to apportion blame for the consequences of their own decisions".

She said that Educate Together had previously accepted the building, the former Burren National School, and the department was working on bringing it up to standard.

"Unfortunately Educate Together, having formally agreed to proceed on the basis of the available premises, subsequently changed its mind," she said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News