Monday 26 September 2016

Furious row as Educate Together pulls planned primary school

Katherine Donnelly Education Editor

Published 26/08/2015 | 22:26

Minister for Education and Skills, Jan O'Sullivan
Minister for Education and Skills, Jan O'Sullivan

A FURIOUS row has broken out after Educate Together decided not to go ahead with a planned primary school opening in Castlebar, Co Mayo next week.

  • Go To

The new multi-denominational school was supposed to represent a small, but significant step towards the  provision greater choice in the primary sector.

But Educate Together has announced that it is deferring the opening until 2016, blaming the Department of Education for not providing convenient and appropriate accommodation

In a fiery retort, Education Minister Jan O’Sullivan  accused Educate Together of  “a misplaced effort to apportion blame for the consequences of their own decisions upon the Department of Education and Skills”.

She said that Educate Together had previously  accepted  the building, the former Burren National School, and the department  was working on bringing it up to standard..

“Unfortunately, Educate Together, having formally agreed to proceed on the basis of the available premises, subsequently changed its mind," she said.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News