Dublin/Monaghan victims to sue British government
FAMILY members of victims and survivors of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings have announced that they are taking legal action against the British government.
A group of 25 people representing victims and survivors will sue the British government through the High Court in Belfast.
The cases will be led by Paddy Askin, whose father was killed in the explosion in Monaghan, and Dublin man Derek Byrne who survived the Parnell Street bomb in the capital.
The group made the announcement earlier today, and Margaret Urwin of the ‘Justice for the Forgotten’ group said that they came to the decision to take legal action “reluctantly”.
“Reluctantly, we decided to take this very difficult path. The families have decided- it had to be there decision,” she said earlier today.
“They have been very patient and they have been waiting 40 years for answers.”
The group have said that the British government has failed to provide original and undisclosed documents.
And, a report carried out by Judge Henry Barron in 2003 concluded that the bombers who carried out the attacks may have had assistance from the British security forces, but the lack of forthcoming documentation left no proof.
“The families have been very patient all along, because we have tried everything with the British government to get them to release the undisclosed documents that they withheld from Judge Henry Barron.
“When Barron’s report was published he said its scope was limited by the failure of the British to provide original documents.
“Since then, strenuous efforts have been made by successive Taoisigh to get the British to cooperate to no avail,” she added.
This Saturday marks the 40th anniversary of the explosions which killed 34 people, the highest death toll on one single day during the Troubles.
Four bombs detonated over a 90minute period on May 17, 1974- three in Dublin and one in Monaghan.