Dublin city centre hostel evacuated amid fire fears
The popular Isaac's Hostel in Dublin's north inner city was evacuated this morning after smoke was spotted in the building.
The alarm was raised just after 7.20am.
Five units of Dublin Fire Brigade, a turntable ladder and an ambulance responded to the call and emergency crews immediately set about searching for the cause of the smoke.
The building's 200 residents were evacuated as a precaution.
Fire crews used thermal imaging cameras from on top of the turntable ladder to search for hot-spots in the roof space.
The source of the smoke was believed to have been from an accidental bin fire in a nearby building and was quickly extinguished.
Cindy Mattern (25) and Matthis Lensch (27) are staying in the hostel and had been there just one night.
"The fire alarm went off at around 7.20am and we all left the building. There was no panic. It was quite orderly," said Cindy, from Germany.
Units from North Strand, HQ and Phibsboro are at the scene of a fire off Gardiner Street. Fire is now out. pic.twitter.com/tga3tMlIV8— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) July 18, 2017
A fire brigade spokesman said the fire and smoke detection systems in the hostel on Frenchman's Lane, just off Gardiner Street had worked effectively and they were pleased with the manner in which the evacuation was carried out.
"Thankfully there was no emergency, but where there are 200 people involved we have to be cautious and react appropriately," he said.