Dublin Bus strikes called off as pay deal accepted
Dublin Bus passengers are safe from the threat of strikes next week after workers backed a 11.25pc pay rise.
If the deal had been rejected, commuters faced further work stoppages on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday next week followed by stoppages on October 18, 19, 24, 26, and 29.
The over 3,000 strong workforce at the semi-state company are now in line for a 3.75pc pay rise each year for the next three years.
The deal is just 0.5pc short of the increase given to Luas drivers following a series of rolling work stoppages earlier this year.
All seven grades of workers represented by Siptu backed a deal brokered at the Workplace Relations Commission in majorities between 70pc and 90pc.
The vote among bus drivers was tightest, with a 58pc vote in favour of the proposals.
And the largest frontline union at the semi-state company, the Nbru, accepted the proposal by a 79pc majority.
There were fears that the deal could be jeopardised during the week when an anonymous group called Dublin Bus United distributed literature advocating a no vote.
Nbru General Secretary Dermot O'Leary said that despite reservations on some of the issues in the proposals, members had accepted the deal brokered at the Workplace Relations Commission.
“In doing so our members have once again demonstrated that it is their desire to continue to provide a public bus transport service to the citizens of our capital city despite the lack of support in by the state in providing sufficient subvention,” he said.
He said his union will now concentrate its focus on pay rises for staff at Bus EIreann and Irish Rail.
Siptu Transport, Energy, Aviation and Construction Division Organiser, Owen Reidy, said Siptu would also continue its efforts to “reclaim lost ground” and achieve decent pay rises for workers in the rest of the CIE companies “and beyond”.
“In this, we will be building on the achievements of the Luas and Dublin Bus pay deals,” he said.