'Don't let your son die like mine' - David Marshall's heartbreaking tribute to drug overdose son
Published 28/01/2016 | 02:30
Celebrity hairdresser David Marshall has admitted not a day goes by when he doesn't think of his tragic son Daniel who died of a heroin overdose.
Daniel (25) was found dead in the restrooms of the Fitzwilliam Hotel in Dublin city centre on the morning of July 13, 2014.
An inquest into his death held earlier this week found he died after taking heroin and prescribed drugs.
His grief-stricken father told how he and his ex-wife, former model Jackie Rafter, tried to get Daniel the help he needed to overcome his drug addiction and his son had attended rehab.
He said when he heard the news of his son's death, the shock was devastating.
"I'm still not over it. The longer it goes on the more you realise that he's not coming back. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him," he explained.
If there were lessons to be learned, David said that looking back he wishes he had taken more control in Daniel's life.
"Hindsight is a great thing, but now I realise that in my experience, boys need more reassurance, more involvement, and to know that they are loved," he said.
"Girls are a bit more independent minded I think, but boys need more guidance, more nurturing, and more TLC," he said. "You have to be hands-on with your children. You can't take your eye off the ball.
"If I though that this advice might help even one family, it will have been worthwhile talking about this," he explained.
Mr Marshall remembered his son as a "beautiful person". "Daniel was a beautiful child in every sense of the word. He was a good looking lad with charm and an extremely creative talent," he said.
"He was never a problem, and had a big interest and talent in sports, especially rugby. It was in his early teens that things began to change. He was starting to have trouble at school and he was becoming a handful.
"As a young man he was always the one looking for kicks and adventure, but this then got out of hand," he added.