Monday 1 May 2017

Donald Trump calls for $603bn defence budget

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with health insurance company executives. (AP/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with health insurance company executives. (AP/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

The Republican chairman of the House of Representatives Armed Services Committee called President Donald Trump's reported $603 billion defense budget request low on Monday, a sign of the fight ahead between Trump's party and Democrats, who oppose slashing non-military spending to boost Pentagon funding.

"Over the course of the Obama Administration, our military funding was cut 20 percent while the world grew more dangerous. While we cannot repair all of the damage done by those cuts in a single year, we can and should do more than this level of funding will allow," Representative Mac Thornberry said in a statement.

"The administration will have to make clear which problems facing our military they are choosing not to fix," he said.

It was not immediately clear why Thornberry alluded to a $603 billion figure.

Meanwhile, it was announced that A U.S. appeals court rejected a request from the U.S. Department of Justice to place on hold an appeal over Donald Trump's travel ban from seven majority-Muslim countries.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had suspended Trump's travel ban earlier this month while litigation over the measure proceeds.

Trump has said a new executive order will be coming soon, and the Justice Department in a court filing asked the 9th Circuit to put litigation on hold, pending the new executive order.

Reuters

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News