Doctor cleared in fatal heart attack inquiry
A DOCTOR who discharged a 32-year-old man one hour before he died of a heart attack has been found not guilty of poor professional performance.
A Medical Council fitness to practise inquiry yesterday found that only one out of seven allegations against Dr Sandor Endredi had been proven as to fact.
This allegation was that Dr Endredi failed to make an adequate record of his consultation with Anthony Geraghty on the night in question.
However the inquiry committee ruled that while proven, this allegation did not amount to poor professional performance.
Mr Geraghty was brought to the North-Doc out-of-hours clinic in Coolock, Dublin, by his twin brother Damien at 12.45am on October 20, 2009.
He had difficulty breathing and was in a state of panic.
The inquiry heard that Mr Geraghty had a history of heart disease, was on 'maintenance methadone' for a number of years, and had a history of drinking and taking benzodiazepine-type medication.
Dr Endredi diagnosed him with an upper airway infection, obesity, tachycardia (abnormally fast heart rate), hypertension and alcohol withdrawal syndrome.
He told the inquiry that after prescribing Mr Geraghty with an antibiotic and a beta-blocker to treat his heart rate, he discharged him and advised him to visit his GP the next morning.
Under cross-examination from Patrick Leonard, who represented the CEO of the Medical Council, Dr Endredi stated that Mr Geraghty told him he had no history of heart trouble.
The decision will now be forwarded to the Medical Council board which will decide what sanction, if any, should be imposed.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie