Disgust at online campaign for killers
A "disgusting" online fundraiser for Molly Martens-Corbett and her father has sparked a furious backlash.
The pair were convicted on Wednesday of the second-degree murder of her husband, Irish businessman Jason Corbett.
Davidson County Court heard that Martens-Corbett (33) and retired-FBI agent Thomas Martens (67) beat the Limerick man's head with a metal baseball bat and a brick at his Panther Creek home in 2015. His skull was so badly damaged the pathologist was unable to determine how many times he had been hit, but she said it was at least 12. The pair's legal team have already said they are planning to appeal the verdict.
The fundraiser - set up by Martens-Corbett's aunt Mona Earnest - has a $300,000 (€253,000) target but has so far collected less than $10,000.
The campaign says: "The legal expenses have gutted the family financially. The next step is to file an appeal and fight the wrongful death suit. We desperately need your help."
The campaign also made a number of allegations about father-of-two Jason's marriage to Martens-Corbett.
People have jumped to Jason's defence and called for the appeal to be taken down.
One woman wrote: "Disgusting. Nothing but a pack of lies. Shame on you and anyone who supports."
Another man said: "Rest in peace Jason Corbett, your life was brutally taken from you in a cold, callous and calculated method that was planned as an execution."