News Irish News

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Disabled teen wins another €500k in negligence case

Connor Corroon of Mallow, Co. Cork
Connor Corroon of Mallow, Co. Cork
Connor Carroon, of Mallow, Co. Cork, with his parents,
Connor won ad additional €475k in court
He attends a special secondary school in Cork

AN 18-year-old youth with cerebral palsy who has already obtained a €1.6m part settlement of a legal action over the circumstances of his birth was yesterday granted a further €475,000 towards his care.

Connor Corroon's case was the first to be adjourned in the High Court three years ago when it was hoped new legislation would be put in place to allow for periodic payments.

At that time, an interim payment of €1.6million was approved as part settlement of his medical negligence action against the hospital and a consultant obstetrician.

Connor, of Copsetown, Mallow, Co Cork, the court previously  heard, suffered catastrophic injuries when he was born at City General Hospital, Cork, in 1995 and is permanently disabled, cannot speak and will require care for the rest of his life.

Connor, through his mother, Judith Mary Corroon, had sued the City General and Dr Pallany Pillay, both of Infirmary Road, Cork, over the circumstances of Connor's birth on February 6,1995. Liability was conceded and the case was before the court for assessment of damages only.

Today, Denis McCullough SC, for the family, told the court the €475,000 relates to care one year in arrears and for the next year.

He said Connor attends a secondary school in Mallow and uses an electric wheelchair.

As part of the settlement, the Corroons can opt to continue interim payments  if the legislation is in place when the case comes before the court again next year, counsel said.

Alternatively, they can opt for a one-off  lump sum payment to finally settle the case. He said the family found the process of interim payments very difficult.

Mr Justice Kevin Cross said he had sympathy with the Corroons point of view and said it would place an "intolerable burden" on families if they have to come back to court every two years.

The judge said he thought there was absolutely no reason to be confident a change in the law in relation to periodic payments will take place soon.

The case is regarded as a test case for the several others waiting in line.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News