THE developer who mysteriously disappeared for eight months and claimed he had been abducted has spoken publicly about the incident for the first time.
Kevin McGeever (pictured) has said he wants to "put the record straight" about the bizarre ordeal.
However, he said he was too weak to comment on what has been written about the case so far and that he is suffering with 'change-of-food syndrome'.
"It's what the doctors call it. I can't eat a whole lot," he said.
"I want the whole truth to come out because the media have made a proper idiot out of me.
"There has been a lot of bulls**t in the papers. I couldn't fight it because after spending eight months locked away underground, I'm still in the recovery mode," he told the 'Sunday Times'.
He said that his doctors had instructed him to take it easy and that he was still in rehab.
The Mayo-born businessman disappeared for eight months before being found wandering barefoot on a road near the Cavan-Leitrim border on January 29.
He was in an emaciated state, disorientated and had a long beard.
His partner, Siobhan O'Callaghan, had reported him missing last June, a month after his disappearance.
When he was found, he was taken to Midlands Regional Hospital in Mullingar, having told gardai and his family that he had been abducted from his home in Galway.
He was unable to supply any details about his captivity, or why and by whom he was abducted, and gardai are continuing to investigate the incident.
Last month the Irish Independent revealed that the luxury mansion where Mr McGeever lived before he went missing is owned by a mystery company with no obvious links to the developer.
Mr McGeever has twice been sought by international police forces in the past in connection with major fraud investigations.
His name has featured on Interpol watch lists for much of the past decade.