Detectives appeal for fresh information on 'ruthless' shooting three months ago
Published 19/02/2016 | 10:23
Detectives have appealed for fresh information about a "ruthless and reckless" shooting in west Belfast three months ago.
A 41-year-old man is still fighting for his life after being shot in the head close to a school at Rossnareen Avenue on November 19.
The victim, a member of the Traveller community, suffered life-changing injuries and the attack is being treated as attempted murder, police said.
Detective Inspector Peter Mullan, from the Police Service of Northern Ireland, said: "We believe the two men came out of a vacant house in Rossnareen Avenue wearing high-visibility workmen's jackets.
"One of them approached the victim's car and opened fire with what we believe to have been a shotgun.
"They made off in a silver Honda Civic car which was abandoned a short distance away in Inishmore Crescent.
"The victim remains in a critical condition in hospital and has sustained life-changing injuries. This was a ruthless and reckless attack in a busy street at a busy time of the day."
The injured man had been in the passenger seat of a black Vauxhall car on a busy road, close to a primary school. His female partner was driving at the time.
The window of the car was completely shattered by the bullets.
Officers from the PSNI's reactive and organised crime branch want to hear from anyone who may have seen the shooting, the two suspects or the silver car.
Detectives can be contacted at Musgrave police station on 101 or information can be provided anonymously to the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.
Two men, aged 18 and 50, have appeared in court charged in connection with the overall police investigation.