Monday 5 December 2016

Dail protesters warn of more marches in greater numbers

Published 19/05/2010 | 05:00

THE "Right To Work" protest outside the Dail ended peacefully last night -- but organisers warned they would be back next week.

  • Go To

There were brief skirmishes with dozens of gardai who were lined up outside Leinster House -- with the gates blocked by four gardai on horseback.

But the protesters who got the closest to the gates were called off by the chairman of the republican splinter group Eirígí -- and told to come back in bigger numbers next week.

"We are going to hold the line, we are not going to fall into their trap. Our numbers are not enough this time," he said via a loudhailer.

The small group of protesters turned their backs on gardai and left. The march through Dublin's city centre attracted a crowd of between 700 and 1,000 protesters who then gathered to listen to speeches. There were regular shouts of "Out, Out, Out" directed at the TDs inside in the Dail.

The speakers included Dublin woman Ann Moore, who was evicted with her family from her council house last week.

"We were evicted last week -- now let's evict this government," she said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News