News Irish News

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Dad (30) who died in funeral home blaze was due to marry in summer

Elaine Keogh

Published 05/03/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
3.3.2014. Fire fighters and tenders pictured at the scene of a fire tonight in Ardee. Finlay's Memorial Services, suppliers of funeral products on Tierney Street in Ardee where a fire broke out this evening. Picture Ciara Wilkinson.
3.3.2014. Fire fighters and tenders pictured at the scene of a fire tonight in Ardee. Finlay's Memorial Services, suppliers of funeral products on Tierney Street in Ardee where a fire broke out this evening. Picture Ciara Wilkinson.

A man who died in a blaze at a funeral home was due to get married this summer.

  • Share
  • Go To

Ramunas Sinica, originally from Lithuania, was one of 24 people employed by Finlay's funeral services.

The Ardee-based company is one of the largest manufacturers of coffins in Ireland.

It also provides other funeral services and the Finlay family is well respected in Co Louth.

It is believed the fire began possibly as a result of an electrical spark in the workshop where Mr Sinica had been working.

Flammable materials including sprays and aerosols, which are usually kept in workshops, were believed to have contributed to the fire's intensity. Mr Sinica (30) lived on William Street, a five-minute walk from where he worked. Friends expressed their sorrow at what happened.

"It is very sad, he was due to get married in the summer," said one woman.

They confirmed he has a daughter in primary school and said "he was lovely and will be missed. We don't want to say anything because we were all very friendly with him and his girlfriend".

On Facebook one friend, Andrius Kryzevicius, said, "RIP Ramunas" and that he "was godfather for my little kid and good friend".

A garda spokesman confirmed they were preparing a file for the coroner.

Gardai believe the fire began accidentally.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News