News Irish News

Monday 25 September 2017

Crisis-hit Priory Hall on flood alert after power cut off

Louise Hogan

Louise Hogan

WORRIED residents at the controversial Priory Hall apartment complex have been warned the basements are in danger of flooding after the power supply to common areas was cut off.

It has been over 100 days since more than 250 people were evacuated from the 187-apartment complex in Donaghmede, north Dublin, after it was found to be a fire hazard.

Graham Usher, a residents' spokesman, said this would escalate the deterioration of the stricken complex built by developer Tom McFeely's Coalport Building Company.

Mr Usher only learned the electricity had been cut off last week when the security access code on the outside doors failed to work due to the lack of power.

Mr Usher said pumps were needed to remove the water from the basements due to a poor drainage system installed when it was built.

"It gets into the lift shafts and they have rusted in the past," he said.

Dublin City Council is currently paying for alternative accommodation for residents due to a High Court order. The council is appealing the order.

A spokesman for ESB Networks confirmed the electricity to common areas, such as lifts, corridor lighting and the basements, was disconnected in December on behalf of various suppliers due to "non-payment issues".

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News