Gangland gun victim called 999 after he was shot in the face and neck
Published 06/07/2016 | 02:30
Three children out walking with their mother came across the badly wounded victim of the capital's latest shooting.
Father-of-two Christopher Maguire (38) was last night clinging to life in Beaumont Hospital after being shot five times in the gun attack in Lusk, north Co Dublin, at 9.50am yesterday.
He was shot in the face, chest, neck, arm and stomach - but was able to call 999 himself and was still conscious when emergency services arrived at the scene.
He was found lying on a footpath close to his car in the Dun Emer housing estate.
Gardaí removed the blood-stained clothes that Maguire had been wearing when he was targeted by the gunman, who was armed with a handgun with an attached silencer.
- Read More: If gardaí are to tackle these murder gangs, they need the resources to do so
- Read More: Man shot twice in latest Dublin gun attack is named locally
The weapon and silencer were later recovered in a burnt-out getaway car in a field in the Minister's Road area of Lusk.
Gardaí are investigating if the attempted murder is linked to the bitter Kinahan/Hutch feud, which has already claimed eight lives, or whether the shooting may be part of a row in the so-called 'New INLA' faction over extortion cash.
Some of Maguire's closest associates are suspected of being 'guns for hire' for the Kinahan side in the feud and are suspected of active involvement in the murder of Gareth Hutch in May.
Gardaí are investigating if this may have made Maguire a target for the Hutch gang, but the badly injured man is not suspected of being involved in the feud himself.
Maguire has no previous convictions and sources have revealed that gardaí were unaware of any threat against him.
Just over an hour after yesterday's shooting, members of the garda Emergency Response Unit monitored a meeting, involving a number of players in the Hutch gang, which took place in the Portland Row area of Dublin's north inner city.
Maguire is a close associate of notorious dissident Republican criminal Declan 'Whacker' Duffy.
Originally from Ballymun, Maguire is facing charges before the non-jury Special Criminal Court where he, 'Whacker' Duffy and another man are charged with three counts of false imprisonment at The Towers, Garters Lane in Saggart on June 9, 2015. During a bail hearing last December in relation to this alleged incident, a senior garda said officers responded to a 999 call at 12.10pm on June 9 last year where they met a man who appeared to have been "viciously assaulted".
He was rushed to Tallaght Hospital suffering a fractured skull and eye socket and a broken arm. The senior garda said another man, whose ear was cut, then approached gardaí.
He claimed to gardaí he had been taken "against his will" from Rathcoole by seven men and driven to his apartment in Saggart. The businessman then alleged that he, his wife and their son were falsely imprisoned in their home for 40 minutes.
He said Maguire was clearly identified on CCTV cameras.
The garda claimed the couple was "afraid" and living at an unknown location.
The court heard Maguire was still at the scene when gardaí arrived, that he remained there for some time afterwards and that he gave his details to gardaí when they asked for them.
In objecting to bail, the garda said his fear was that Maguire "could be instructed to interfere with witnesses", as ringleaders were still at large.
In cross examination at the time, Seamus Clarke BL claimed that Maguire had "a lesser part" in the incident than his co-accused.
The garda said this was "a bit too far", and he had taken "an active part in the false imprisonment" but had not been charged with violent disorder.
Maguire was granted bail under strict conditions.