Saturday 1 October 2016

23 arrests, 109 searches, 2,600 statements, 7,000 lines of inquiry since Regency Hotel murder - gardai

Robin Schiller

Published 01/06/2016 | 12:31

Gardai investigating the death of Gareth Hutch last week
Gardai investigating the death of Gareth Hutch last week

Gardai say that support from the community of Dublin's north inner city has been "phenomenal" as they continue their investigations into the city's recent murders.

  • Go To

A total of seven people have lost their lives so far as a result of the Hutch-Kinahan feud.

Speaking today at a press briefing at Store Street Garda Station, Superintendent Dan Flavin said the support from the community has been 'phenomenal'.

In relation to the deaths of Eddie Hutch Snr, Michael Barr and Gareth Hutch, gardai say they have taken over 500 statements.

They said the majority of these statements are from members of the community coming forward to help.

Supt Flavin said he is "confident" as time progresses that their more progress will be made in the investigations. 

Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner John Twomey said that the force are "determined that good will win over evil".

He described the work completed by the gardai so far, but said they do anticipate more arrests.

"On the outset I would like to express my condolences to the family and friends of Gareth Hutch. We're determined to provide a quality of life in a society which people have to live in.

"To date we've had 23 people arrested and conducted almost 109 searches in relation to these specific feuds.

"A total of 18 firearms have been seized.

"There have been 2,600 statements taken and over 7,000 lines of inquiry have been followed up on," he continued.

"Statements are being taken and the Criminal Assets Bureau are following the money.

"We're determined to ensure that perpetrators of these crimes will be brought to justice.

"We're determined that good will win over evil."

Gardai again appealed for information on the movement of a silver Ford Transit van around Buckingham Street on the afternoon of February 5, the day of the Regency shootings.

They also appealed for anyone who may have mobile phone footage of the day at the Regency to come forward to gardai.

"You're all familiar with the event of February 5 at the Regency Hotel," Supt Finbarr Murphy of Ballymun Garda Station said.

"Over 2,000 lines of inquiry have been followed.

"We have harvested several years of CCTV from around the community.

"As a result of our investigations, we have eight people arrested so far, one who is before the courts in relation to the murder of David Byrne.

"We anticipate there will be further arrests made in relation to the investigation."

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News