Youth to be sentenced for attacking man after row over queuing
Published 10/12/2012 | 13:57
A YOUTH will be sentenced next month for attacking a man who reprimanded him for skipping a queue in a shop.
The 17-year-old boy had pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court last month to assault causing harm to the man, who is in his late thirties, on May 6 last year.
He had also admitted a litany of shoplifting charges for stealing soft drinks, chocolates and bottles of cider from a south Dublin shop on eight occasions in May this year.
The teen, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, already had two prior criminal convictions, the court heard.
Judge Ann Ryan was told that the boy had been in a shop at Spa Road Dublin 8 when he had an altercation with the man who had thought the teenager had skipped the queue.
The man left the shop and headed towards Thomas Davis Street where there was another altercation with two youths, including the teenage defendant.
The boy “struck the injured party in the face”; Judge Ryan heard that the man suffered facial bruising but made a recovery.
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble had said the teenager had been coming to garda attention because of a group of individuals with whom he had been associating. The teen's mother believed he made a “fresh start” when he later moved from his native area in Dublin to live with another relative, the court has heard.
Since his last appearance, the teenager, who is getting guidance from the Probation Service, has taken up a place in a residential centre which helps troubled youths to get training and to turn their lives around.
Today Judge Ryan adjourned sentencing him for a report on his progress to be furnished. His next hearing will take place on January 14th.