News Courts

Thursday 28 August 2014

Youth party raider to take part in crime diversion plan

Tom Tuite

Published 15/01/2013 | 15:42

  • Share

A YOUTH, who was part of a gang of masked raiders that smashed their way into a birthday party and attacked attacked revellers, has been ordered to take part in a crime diversion programme.

  • Share
  • Go To

The 17-year-old boy has pleaded guilty to a charge of violent disorder in connection with the incident at the woman's south Dublin family home in November 2011. A probation report on the teenager was sought by the Dublin Children's Court.

Judge Ann Ryan agreed to defer sentencing until a date in April to allow the teenager, who is on bail, to take part in restorative justice activities which will be supervised by the Probation Service.

The juvenile court has already heard that that chaos broke out when up to eight masked raiders – some armed with hurleys –smashed their way in as a young woman was hosting a garden party to celebrate her 18th birthday.

Detective Garda Gabriel Duffy had said a marquee had been set up in the garden of the young woman's house and about 40 guests were present.

The rear gates to the house were smashed and between five and eight intruders entered “with their identities concealed by hats, scarves and dark glasses” and they then attacked people in the marquee.

Some had hurleys and were swinging them indiscriminately at the party goers. The young woman suffered bruising to her arm. Her brother was also set on and suffered a chipped tooth..

Det-Gda Duffy has agreed that the youth was not among the first group of raiders, but added that the teen arrived on the scene “within seconds” and punched one of the party goers.

He had also said the teenager was aware there was going to be an incident at the party and that the young woman and her family were left traumatised and are still extremely upset.

Defence solicitor John Quinn has asked the court to note that the boy was not one of the armed raiders but was accepting responsibility for becoming involved, and is remorseful.

He had said the boy had been pushing and dragging out of people and punched one person in the face but he did not cause any injuries.

The teenager is in full time education and has no prior criminal convictions and his parents are taking this case very seriously, the defence had also said.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News