Wednesday 18 October 2017

Youth kept in custody after Melanie murder charge

Breda Heffernan

Breda Heffernan

A 17-YEAR-OLD youth has appeared in court charged with the murder of teenager Melanie McCarthy McNamara earlier this year.

The defendant, who turns 18 tomorrow, was brought before Tallaght District Court, Dublin yesterday morning, where he was accompanied by his mother. He arrived in a prison van as he is already in custody on an unrelated matter and shielded his face from waiting media.

Detective Garda Kieran McGrath from Tallaght garda station told the court that the defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, made no reply after he was charged with the 16-year-old girl's murder.

Melanie was shot in the head as she sat in her boyfriend Christopher Moran's car on Brookview Way in Tallaght on February 7 this year and died the following morning.

The accused, who was wearing a grey tracksuit, did not speak during the brief court hearing.

His solicitor, Ann Brizzell, told the court that her client was currently being detained at St Patrick's Institution and was a juvenile who would turn 18 tomorrow.

Judge Anthony Halpin ordered that the youth be detained at St Patrick's and appear before Cloverhill District Court on October 9.

He also granted the defendant legal aid saying: "I can think of no graver charge."

The youth is the second person to be charged with Melanie's murder.

Irish Independent

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News