Wounded attack victim ‘gave up’ wait for A&E care after eight hours
Published 16/06/2014 | 11:54
A YOUNG man who was beaten up in a random attack at a train station gave up waiting to be treated at A&E, a court heard.
The victim had been meeting his girlfriend off a Dart at Castleknock Station when Brian O’Connor (19) walked over and punched him, leaving him with facial injuries.
Blanchardstown District Court heard he went to James Connolly Memorial Hospital but was not seen after eight hours and went home.
Jailing O’Connor for two months for the assault, Judge David McHugh described the situation at the hospital as “unsatisfactory”.
O’Connor, with an address at Lambourne Road, Clonsilla, pleaded guilty to assaulting a man at Castleknock Road on November 9, 2013.
He also admitted using threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour to cause a breach of the peace in the same incident.
The court heard gardai were called to the scene at 8.30pm on the evening in question. Station staff told them O’Connor had been sitting with two other men in the station acting in a threatening manner.
The victim arrived to collect his girlfriend at the station when he was assaulted in an “unprovoked attack” by the accused, a garda said.
The assault was captured on CCTV and the accused was arrested and charged. The court heard the victim suffered minor facial injuries in the attack and went to the A&E at Blanchardstown Hospital.
However, after an eight-hour wait, he had still not been seen so he left without treatment.
The court heard O’Connor had 75 previous convictions for offences including violent disorder and theft.
The accused had picked up a lot of the convictions that were on his record as a minor, his solicitor Simon Fleming said.
“What has led him into difficulties is his abuse of prescription tablets,” Mr Fleming said. “He gets himself into a condition where he doesn’t know what he is doing.”
“One person who is not before the court and who is entitled to his justice is the injured party,” Judge McHugh said.
Mr Fleming said O’Connor offered a “profound apology” for the assault.
The judge made the two-month sentence concurrent to a jail term he is currently serving.
Part of his current sentence is suspended.
“It is somewhat unsatisfactory that the victim was not seen at the A&E,” the judge added.