Sunday 25 September 2016

Women arrested as part of huge garda raid fail to appear in court

Greg Harkin

Published 24/03/2016 | 02:30

Photo: Getty Images/Ingram Publishing
Photo: Getty Images/Ingram Publishing

A judge has issued arrest warrants for two women who failed to appear in court yesterday on charges related to a massive garda operation earlier this week.

  • Go To

Ann Marie O'Donoghue (46), from Brownswood, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford, and Nora O'Reilly (44), The Cresent, Beaumont Heights, Ferrybank, Waterford, were due to appear at Glenties District Court yesterday.

Gda Dylan Conroy told Judge Paul Kelly that the women were detained at their homes on Tuesday.

"It was part of a major operation involving 80 gardaí targeting crime," said Gda Conroy.

"We (gardaí from Donegal) were also involved as a result of these alleged offences."

The garda said both women were arrested and were released on €200 garda bail.

He said he was on the garda operation and both women had been charged with thefts at two shops in Ardara, Co Donegal, on September 12 last year.

It was alleged the women entered Bonner's Gift Shop and McCabe's shop in the town and stole a number of items.

The witness said the women had remained silent when the charges were put to them at Enniscorthy Garda Station on Tuesday. However, he told the judge that neither of the two accused had appeared in court yesterday.

Supt Colm Nevin asked the judge to revoke garda bail.

Judge Kelly then issued warrants for the arrests of both women.

Meanwhile, gardaí have released more details on the operation which took place on Tuesday.

During co-ordinated searches, property believed to be stolen, with an estimated value of €75,000, was recovered and seized.

More than 80 gardaí took part in a total of nine co-ordinated searches, with the assistance of the Criminal Assets Bureau, Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau and the Stolen Motor Vehicle Investigation Unit.

The Garda Air Support and officers from Revenue Custom and Excise also took part in the raids.

It's understood that property which detectives believe was stolen from addresses across the country was recovered during the investigation.

Sources say officers are now logging each of the items and hope to be able to trace the owners. A large number of CCTV videos from premises which had been targeted by the criminals are said to form part of the inquiry.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News