Woman was sexually assaulted by 13-year-old boy in children's home during horrific attack
A THEN 13-year-old boy, who sexually assaulted a woman during a terrifying attack in a children's home, is to be sentenced next week.
The boy, now aged 15, has pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to sexually assaulting the woman, who believed she was going to be raped and had to bite him to stop him attacking her during the incident nearly two years ago.
He has been refused bail and appeared again today when Judge Alan Mitchell ordered that he was to be further remanded in custody pending his sentence hearing.
A probation report on him is to be furnished to the court on May 3 when the case is to be listed before Judge Ann Ryan who had heard the evidence in the case last week.
Garda Conor Tumbleton had told Judge Ryan that the attack happened almost two years ago when the woman had been working in a children's care home where the boy, then aged 13, had been placed.
She did not attend the hearing but in her statement to gardai that she had described her ordeal. Gda Tumbleton had said: “She received a note under the staff toilet door and was told she should read it, she read it and a short time later she ignored it”.
It was written by the boy and in it he had asked the woman, “to meet him”. The teenager “confronted” her at a doorway, pushed her and “started to square up to her”.
The boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, then “put her in a headlock and after a short period she managed to break free and get out”.
In court, the teenager showed no emotion as the garda had described how the terrified woman desperately tried to get away from him, and managed to leave the building.
“She attempted to climb a ditch outside to alert people to the situation, he followed her, caught up with her”. The woman tried to escape again by going back into the care home followed by the teenager who started to punch her and forced into another headlock.
He then sexually assaulted; “He put his hand inside her top and touched her vagina outside her clothing.” The woman kicked him and tried to run but the teenager shut a door shut before he pinned her on the floor.
“He made thrusting sexual movements on the injured party who was face down on the floor”. "The injured party bit him to his arm until she was able to break free,” Garda Tumbleton had also said.
In her statement to gardai she had also said she was “terrified and thinking about getting out alive without being raped”. A victim impact statement has already been furnished to the judge who was told that the boy has 10 prior criminal convictions, including theft charges.
Last year, he had been detained for six months for these offences, however, Judge Ryan was told that the sexual assault pre-dated his other crimes and at the time of the attack he had no criminal convictions.
The teenager was moved to a different facility after the assault on the woman and was accompanied to his hearing by care workers.
He also pleaded guilty to robbery of a mobile phone from a person in Dublin city-centre which occurred last year as well as assaulting another care home employee whom he struck on a date last July.