Woman suing over alleged electrocution in creche sink
Woman sues following alleged electric shock in sink at creche
Published 27/03/2014 | 02:30
A PART-time country and western singer had to cancel gigs after she was allegedly electrocuted in a creche where she worked, the High Court has heard.
Mother-of-two Lesley Anne Dawson, Ballon Hill, Ballon, Co Carlow, claims the incident occurred when she put her hands into a sink of water to do the washing up at the creche.
A plugged-in electrical appliance had been left in the sink, she claims. She says she felt a bang in her head and was thrown four or five feet backwards and hit a press at Dolmen Nursery and Montessori School, Hacketstown Road, Carlow.
"I was shaking and vomiting. My heart was pounding. I did not know what was wrong with me," she said.
"I did not know if I was going to live or die."
She is suing the creche, and claims she has not been able to do any professional singing since.
She told Ms Justice Mary Irvine she was conscientious and had continued to work on the day, but she also rang her mother to say goodbye as she thought she was going to die.
She is suing Linda Mellon, proprietor of Dolmen Nursery and Montessori School, for alleged negligence as a result of the incident on August 31, 2005.
She claimed a plugged-in electric hand blender was permitted to be in a sink of water and there was a failure to warn of the danger to which she was exposed.
The defendant denies negligence and claims there was contributory negligence on Ms Dawson's behalf for failing to watch what she was doing.
Ms Dawson told the judge her face is hypersensitive to touch and even a light touch is "like blades on my skin".
It was put to her by counsel for the defendant that an expert simulation of what happened that day showed there was barely perceptible pain.
Ms Dawson replied that she knew what happened on the day. The case continues.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie