Saturday 27 December 2014

Woman claims life ruined by ex's vile internet posts

John Fallon

Published 12/03/2014 | 02:30

Paul Monaghan pictured arriving at Roscommon court. Photo: David Walsh
Paul Monaghan pictured arriving at Roscommon court. Photo: David Walsh

A CHILDCARE worker says her life has been ruined by an ex-boyfriend who posted vile sexual items on a website seven years after they broke up.

The 36-year-old woman told Roscommon Circuit Criminal Court she had to give up her job, was receiving counselling until her savings ran out, and told how her friends shunned her after items started appearing on a website, which suggested she was offering sexual favours.

The woman said that she was unaware of the explicit items and they went on for about eight months in 2011 before they were brought to her attention.

Her name and full postal address was used on the website and the items were all written in the first person.

Sgt John Hynes said that the website was based in Buenos Aires but he traced the IP address used to a dwelling in Carrick-on-Shannon where Paul Monaghan, who had gone out with the victim for around two months in 2004, lived with his current girlfriend.

Sgt Hynes said that Monaghan, from Cartron, Kilrooskey, Co Roscommon, was questioned and admitted posting the vile items about the woman over an eight-month period in 2011. He could not offer an explanation for his actions but said he was unemployed at the time and drinking a lot.

The items were all posted in the woman's name and her full postal address was included. The messages invited men to get in touch for sex and the lurid messages outlined what the poster wanted men to do to her.

The victim said the website items had a devastating impact on her life, adding that she could not understand why Monaghan would do this to her.

She had gone out with him for about two months around 2004 but had broken it off because she found him domineering.

They went their separate ways and there had been no contact since then.

She told the court that she couldn't believe that Monaghan, a 34-year old, would do this to her.

VICTIM

The victim said her life had been ruined. She said life was good up to October 2011, she had worked hard in her career as a childcare worker and had been given a new role. She loved her work, she was outgoing, she was happy with her life and had great plans. But the degrading action of one ex-boyfriend changed all that. "He stole my good name," she said.

She would not accept it was a reckless action, it had gone on for eight months and it was designed to cause the maximum damage to her, she said.

The victim said she went from being hard-working and enjoying her life to a person in need of counselling and trying to survive on social welfare.

But she said she was determined not to be broken by the appalling actions.

Monaghan, who offered €10,000 in compensation, is the son of a retired garda, and his brother John, who gave a character reference, is a garda in Dublin.

Monaghan was remanded on continuing bail and will be sentenced next week.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News