Monday 25 September 2017

Warrant issued after Dublin boy skips country while awaiting sentence for knife possession

TOM TUITE

A 16-YEAR-OLD Dublin boy with a litany of assault convictions and described as having "anger issues" has skipped the country while awaiting sentence for knife possession.

The boy, who had pleaded guilty in July to carrying the knife as a weapon in Dublin city-centre, had claimed he “did not have it to harm anyone”.

He had been granted bail pending the preparation of a probation report and was due to face sentencing at the Children's Court in Dublin today. However, he did not turn up and Judge Michael Walsh was told that it is believed the teen has gone to England.

He issued a warrant for the boy's arrest.

Earlier at the boy's hearing in July, Garda Ian Gillespie had told the court that on June 13 last reports had been received “that a male was in possession of a knife at the Irish Life Mall”.

He was shown where the suspect went by a security guard and spotted the teenager at Marlborough Street.

The boy had discarded a pocket-knife, which was exhibited in court. When the garda was displaying the blades on the knife during the hearing the boy had said “you have to take the small one out first”.

The teenager, who had then claimed the knife was blunt, had already been dealt with by the courts for eight prior offences.

In 2009, he was placed on supervised probation “for threatening to damage property”. The following year, he was again was placed on probation for entering with intent to commit an offence, breach of the peace, being intoxicated in public and four counts of assault.

The garda had agreed with the defence barrister that when arrested for carrying the knife, the boy claimed “he did not have it to harm anyone”.

Counsel for the boy had said the teenager, who has been in getting assistance from social services for several years, “has serious difficulties in dealing with anger issues”.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News