Walsh accuser put off the roads for two years
THE man who falsely accused pop manager Louis Walsh of sexual assault was yesterday fined €800 and disqualified from driving for two years and a day.
Leonard Watters (24), of Woodview, Navan, Co Meath, pleaded guilty to driving without insurance at Circular Road, Dillonstown, Navan, on December 12, 2010.
He had taken his father's car to pick up his daughter.
Watters also pleaded guilty to failing to produce his insurance documents.
Earlier this month, Watters was forced to apologise to Mr Walsh after he falsely accused him of groping him. He is due to be sentenced in January for making the false claim.
Yesterday, Navan District Court was told by Garda Ciara Hayes that on the day in question, Watters was involved in a two-vehicle collision. She said he had three previous convictions including having no insurance and no driving licence, dating from March 2008.
At the time, he was fined €800 for no insurance and €20 for having no driver's licence.
The third conviction related to breach of a barring order.
Ciara McDonagh, counsel for Watters, said he had been driving his father's car to pick up his daughter so he could see her during the Christmas period.
She added that he had not driven since, his licence had expired and he had no intention of renewing it. She said he apologised for wasting the court's time and was aware he was facing a disqualification.
Judge Patrick Clyne said disqualification was mandatory and put him off the road for two years and a day.
He also imposed a fine of €800 and gave him five months to pay this, with five days in default.
He also granted an application for legal aid after being told Watters was unemployed.