Two men who threatened staff with claw hammers during jewellers robbery jailed for four years each
Published 27/06/2014 | 17:39
Two Finglas men who threatened staff with claw hammers during the robbery of a jewellers have both received four years each.
Gary Duddy (23) and Joseph Richards (22) were among four raiders who burst into the Balbriggan jewellers, smashed display cases and stole €15,370 worth of jewellery.
The four men were arrested shortly after the robbery when they were spotted travelling down the M1 motorway in a taxi while changing their clothes.
Duddy told gardai that he took part in the robbery because his mother was sick and the children in the family home didn't have any clothes to fit them.
Garda Stephen Hughes said he accepted this was a genuine reason.
Duddy of Barnamore Park and Richards, of St Canices Square pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to robbery of Goldsmith jewellers, Drogheda Street, Balbriggan on May 10, 2013.
Duddy has no previous convictions while Richards has 23, including criminal damage, producing an article in a dispute and robbing a takeaway.
As result of his guilty plea, Richards previously had two years of a four year suspended sentence for the takeaway robbery reactivated by Judge Tony Hunt.
Luigi Rea BL, defending Richards, submitted to Judge Mary Ellen Ring that the father-of-two had a debt which was “rubbed out” after he was victim of a serious hammer assault. Mr Rea said his client was also drug free.
The court heard that Duddy told gardai that his mother was unwell. He said: “The kids don’t have clothes to fit them. I didn’t hurt anyone in the shop”.
He said he thought he would get a couple of grand from the robbery and he would keep some of that for himself.
Judge Ring suspended the final two years of Duddy’s sentence, taking into consideration his prior clean record.
She made Richard’s four year sentence consecutive to the reactivated portion of his previous robbery sentence. She suspended the final two and a half years of this term.