Friday 26 December 2014

Tulisa 'outraged' after she is found guilty of assault

Neil Lancefield

Published 26/07/2014 | 02:30

Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London

FORMER X-Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos has been found guilty of assaulting a celebrity blogger at a music festival.

The 26-year-old singer was convicted of hitting Savvas Morgan during an altercation at V Festival in Chelmsford last August.

The ruling was made by a judge at Stratford Magistrates' Court in east London.

Earlier this week, a separate drugs trial against Contostavlos collapsed after the judge said there were "strong grounds" to believe that undercover reporter Mazher Mahmood – known as the Fake Sheikh – had lied in the witness box.

Contostavlos shook her head in disbelief as the guilty verdict for assault was read out. Standing on the steps of the court building, she declared that she was "outraged" at the conviction and vowed to clear her name in an appeal.

Mr Morgan, who suffered swelling to his eye, said in a statement that he felt "vindicated" by the verdict.

Contostavlos was ordered by the court to pay a total of £3,020(€3,816). This consisted of a £2,700 contribution towards the cost of the prosecution, a £200 fine, £100 compensation to Mr Morgan and a £20 victim surcharge.

Her assistant, Gareth Varey, (28), was cleared of using threatening behaviour.

Press Association

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News