Trial of Wayne Dundon over murder of Roy Collins delayed due to legal wrangling
THE trial of two Limerick men charged with murdering businessman Roy Collins has been adjourned until Thursday for the completion of ‘long and complicated’ disclosure to the defence.
Wayne Dundon (35), of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect, and Nathan Killeen (23), of Hyde Road, Prospect, are charged with murdering the 35-year-old at Coin Castle Amusements, Roxboro Road Shopping Centre, Limerick, on April 9, 2009.
The non-jury Special Criminal Court had previously ordered the disclosure of any recordings made between gardai and civilian witnesses during the investigation and the trial was due to begin today.
However, when the case was called, prosecutor Michael O’Higgins SC said that another 48 hours was needed to complete the disclosure process, which he described as long and complicated.
He added that a significant portion of garda resources had been devoted to addressing the issues raised by the defence.
Seán Guerin SC, also prosecuting, noted that the court had previously made a disclosure order regarding the prison service and said that some additional material had been identified that might be relevant. He asked for a similar disclosure order for this material.
Mr Dundon’s barrister, Remy Farrell SC, said that the matters sought were relevant, while counsel for Mr Killeen, Giollaíosa Ó Lideadha SC, said that the defence was working hard to achieve the greatest level of preparation. He requested an adjournment.
Ms Justice Iseult O’Malley, presiding, made the order sought my Mr Guerin and granted the adjournment requested by the defence.
“The court appreciates the amount of effort that has gone into the preparation of this trial on both sides,” she said.
She proposed opening the case tomorrow (Thursday) and adjourning it then if necessary.
The four-week trial before Ms Justice O’Malley, Judge Margaret Heneghan and Judge Ann Ryan will be the first to be heard by three female judges.