Travis slams prosecution service as new trial to begin
Published 26/07/2014 | 02:30
VETERAN DJ Dave Lee Travis criticised Britain's Crown Prosecution Service outside court yesterday after learning he will face a fresh trial over historic sex abuse allegations.
The former Radio One DJ is to be retried for charges of sexual assault and indecent assault as well as a new count of indecent assault, but spoke afterwards of being stripped of his "dignity" during the Operation Yewtree investigation.
"I know there's no such thing as innocent until proven guilty. I know for a fact that isn't true," he said outside Southwark Crown Court.
"In my estimation the CPS has overcompensated for its failings with Savile and is taking away the human rights and dignity of individuals by having police arrest people first and then go out looking for evidence while that person is on bail.
"In my case I have been on bail for two years. This is entirely unacceptable."
Travis was acquitted of 12 counts of indecent assault earlier this year but jurors were unable to reach verdicts on one other charge of indecent assault dating back to the early 1990s and one of sexual assault in mid to late 2008.
And the 69-year-old also formally pleaded not guilty to one additional count of indecent assault on a woman aged over 16 alleged to have taken place on January 17, 1995.
Travis, who is charged under his real name of David Griffin, appeared wearing a pastel grey jacket, black trousers, white shirt and turquoise tie.
Hand in hand with his wife Marianne, he also told gathered media on the court steps that the case had damaged his reputation "irreparably" and he had spent the couple's pension defending himself.
Judge Anthony Leonard QC adjourned the case to trial on September 1.