Monday 5 December 2016

Travellers in court over threats on YouTube

Thomas Lyons

Published 23/02/2012 | 05:00

SIXTEEN members of two Traveller families were ordered to enter a peace bond or go to prison after a series of threats were posted on YouTube.

  • Go To

The defendants were before the court facing charges arising from an alleged breach of the peace contrary to common law.

Members of the families were ordered to enter a peace bond with a cash surety of €300 for a period of two years.

District Court Judge Seamus Hughes told the defendants that if they breached any aspect of the bond then they would forfeit the money.

The defendants agreed to a number of conditions at Longford District Court. These included that they be of good behaviour and that they refrain from training for, organising, or participating in any bare-knuckle fights.

Escalating

Earlier in proceedings the prosecution claimed the escalating nature of the exchanges suggested that somebody was going to be killed. It said threats had been made on YouTube between the Traveller families.

In the course of proceedings the judge was shown video clips from 14 videos which had been uploaded to the website.

The videos contained insults to both parties, threats of violence, repeated reference to people with mental handicaps, homophobic comments and what was described as insulting and vulgar behaviour.

Nine of the defendants signed a peace bond at the hearing. Seven more will come before the court on March 6.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News