WAYNE Dundon has appeared in court charged with the murder of Roy Collins.
There was tight security at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin for the appearance of Dundon and another accused, Nathan Killeen.
Dundon (34), of Prospect, Limerick, is serving six years for threatening to kill and intimidation of a witness.
Killeen (22), also of Prospect, was jailed for five years in July 2011 for breaking in to a house with intent to commit extortion.
Both men were yesterday charged with the murder of father-of-two Roy Collins outside the Coin Castle amusements at Roxboro Shopping Centre in Limerick on April 9, 2009.
Gunman James Dillon (26), who previously pleaded guilty to murdering the businessman, is serving a life sentence.
Dundon and Killeen sat side by side as they appeared before the three judges at the non-jury court shortly after 11am.
Dundon sat impassively as Det Gda Paul Crowley gave evidence of charging and cautioning him. Det Gda Brian O'Connor then gave evidence of charging and cautioning Killeen.
Counsel for Dundon, Shane O'Callaghan, said he was asked by his client to raise concerns about media coverage.
He said that before the case had even begun, public representatives in Limerick were allegedly making statements on radio "congratulating gardai on bringing Mr Dundon to court".
Mr O'Callaghan said he was not seeking a media blackout, but requested that the court ask the media to "refrain from publishing such prejudicial statements".
Dundon and Killeen were remanded in custody to Portlaoise Prison and will appear in court again on April 23.
Mr O'Callaghan asked for legal aid for his client.
However, prosecuting solicitor Michael O'Donovan said both Dundon and Killeen had been in custody "for some time" and no statement of means had been furnished to the court.