Sunday 4 December 2016

Thug, filmed shaving unconscious woman's hair, back in jail following fresh assault

Published 26/11/2016 | 13:15

Nathan Telford
Nathan Telford

A man who was sent to prison after a gang made a mobile phone video of the head-shaving of an unconscious woman has had his release licence revoked after pleading guilty to assaulting another female.

  • Go To

Nathan Telford (25) attacked a woman at 3am in a resident's room at Ballymena's Simon Community hostel, Co Antrim where he had been living, on November 16.

In 2015 Telford was jailed for 20 months and put on licence for a further 20 months after he and two other men and a woman were involved in the 2013 head-shaving incident at his then flat on Ballymena's Ballymoney Road.

In relation to that incident, a Crown Court judge previously spoke of Telford's "disgraceful behaviour" towards the 33-year-old victim, who he had invited to his home, saying he lacked remorse or insight regarding the impact it has had on her.

The victim had her head dry-shaved by the three men who then tried to burn the remainder of her hair as she lay "comatose".

Telford appeared at Ballymena Magistrates Court on Sunday via video-link from Maghaberry Prison where the court heard his licence was revoked and he is not due to be released until March.

He was given a two-month jail term for the new assault on the woman in the Simon Community at Henry Street.

A prosecutor said police were called at 3.13am to the premises after a report of a disturbance between two residents.

Telford grabbed the woman by the arm and twisted it up behind her back.

He told police he was in a resident's room with others and he believed the woman was going to assault a male so he grabbed her wrist to prevent any attack.

Defence barrister Stephen Law said his client had been on licence for 16 months "with no difficulties whatsoever", but when he moved to the Simon Community "it reintroduced him to the drugs scene".

He said his client "foolishly intervened" during the hostel incident and accepts "he maybe should have turned his back and walked out the door".

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News