News Courts

Thursday 18 September 2014

Teenagers bailed over mugging of heavily pregnant woman

Tom Tuite

Published 22/01/2013 | 16:44

  • Share

TWO youths were granted bail today after they were charged with violently mugging a heavily pregnant woman in Dublin on Monday.

  • Share
  • Go To

The mother-to-be, who is seven months pregnant, was near her home and had been at Collins Park in north Dublin when the alleged robbery took place.



The boys, aged 16 and 17, who cannot be named because they are juveniles, were brought before Dublin Children's Court today.



They made no reply when charged with robbery, the city's juvenile court was told.



Garda James Nugent and Garda Patrick Watson objected to bail citing the seriousness of the charges.



Gda Nugent said it was alleged the woman had been approached from behind while she was talking on her mobile phone. She was “knocked to the ground and a struggle ensued” and there was an attempt to take her handbag before her phone was taken.



She suffered “soreness to her back and grazing on her hands and face.”



Directions from the DPP are to be obtained in relation to whether the boys' trial will be dealt with in the juvenile court or instead sent forward to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.



Legal aid was granted to the pair, who have not not yet indicated how they will plead to the charges.



The 17-year-old boy is from north Dublin but living in accommodation in the city centre. His alleged accomplice is from Eastern Europe but living in Dublin with his family, and both were remanded on bail by Judge William Early who imposed stringent conditions.



The pair, who were accompanied to their hearing by family members, were ordered to obey curfews, sign-on daily at their local garda stations, not contact each other, and not contact the woman directly or indirectly.



Their next hearing will take place on March 5.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News