A 15-YEAR-OLD boy once described as "committing crime to get money for food" is to be sentenced in March for a litany of burglary, theft and drugs offences.
Dublin Children's Court heard today that an excellent probation report on the teenager had been furnished. Judge Ann Ryan also noted that the boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, had stopped offending in recent months and she said he had made “great strides”.
The teenager, who is residing in accommodation provided by the HSE, entered guilty pleas yesterday (TUE) to three burglary charges. He admitted that on October 14, 2011 he burgled two houses, one in Dublin 6 and the other in Crumlin, in Dublin 12 from which he he stole €30, US dollars worth €150, an Xbox console, a video game and two mobile phones. He also admitted stealing two laptops worth €1,700 and €150 in cash during a burglary at Church Park Drive Harold's Cross in Dublin, on October 10, 2011.
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble said the teen's offending “has come to a halt” and Judge Ryan noted that the Probation Service were seeking an adjournment to continue to work with the boy to address his offending behaviour.
Judge Ryan sought an updated probation report on the boy and ordered him to appear again in March.
Last year, the court had heard that at previous stage his mother had not been in a position to look after him and he had spent periods living “home alone” and he had been “committing crime to get money for food”.
Social services have been assisting the youth whose family had first come to the notice of the HSE in 2000.
The teenager has also admitted criminal damage, theft as well as trespassing offences. During these incidents he stole an Ipod, a sat-nav system, a stethoscope and other medical equipment worth €550 from cars, in October 2011.
The boy has also pleaded guilty to possessing heroin worth €250 for the purpose of sale or supply to another.