Sunday 24 September 2017

Teenager spared jail over drugs and bullets in underpants was then caught dealing heroin

By Tom Tuite

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy, who was given two 10-month suspended sentences after was found with heroin and bullets hidden in his underpants, has continued to deal drugs, it has been alleged.

The south Dublin boy, who has had to move out of his home, had admitted Public Order Act offences, possessing a knife, in the city's south-side and using a plastic rod as a weapon which he swung at members of the public on Thomas Street. All these offences took place in January last year

The teenager had also entered guilty pleas at the Dublin Children's Court to drug dealing and firearms offences. The total street value of drugs seized from him was €1,500.

Cannabis was found at his home last May and he was also found with cocaine and heroin at a location in Dublin 8 on the same date. The boy was brought to a south Dublin garda station where more heroin was recovered.

At the garda station where he was searched, three Remmington make, 22-calibre Winchester Magnum bullets were also found on him.

The court heard that the teen kept the bullets and heroin hidden in his underwear.

In November last year, he was given two 10-month suspended sentences for these offences.

However, the juvenile court heard today that the teenager is facing a fresh heroin dealing charge. It is alleged he was caught with €50 worth of the drug at Dublin's O'Connell Street, on February 19 last.

Judge Ryan accepted jurisdiction to deal with this case Children's Court and if convicted for this offence it could trigger the activation of the suspended sentences imposed last year.

The boy was not present for the brief hearing because he is in custody on remand in relation to other charges.

The judge ordered that he was to be brought to the court next week when he is to enter a plea to the new drug dealing charge.

In his case last year, Dublin's juvenile court had been told that there had been intervention by social services but this was not based on child protection concerns in relation to his family.

As a result of his crime, the boy had to leave his home because his continued presence there became unsustainable and the teenager was “perceived to be at risk”. His lawyer had said he had “fallen foul of certain persons in his locality”.

Friends took the boy in at their home and social services continued to provide him with assistance, the court had heard.

At his sentence hearing in November the had been warned that the sentences would be imposed if he re-offended within the next 12 months.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News