Teenager accused of vicious Ha'penny Bridge mugging
Published 15/01/2013 | 15:41
A 16-YEAR-OLD boy, who started abusing alcohol at the age of seven, has been charged over a vicious mugging of a man at the Ha'penny Bridge in Dublin.
The teenager appeared at the Dublin Children's Court accused of robbery of a mobile phone on November 21 last.
Judge Ann Ryan heard it would be alleged the victim had been crossing the bridge when the teenager and another male approached. The teen is alleged to have stolen a phone from the man who gave chase.
He was then knocked to the ground and got kicked. Judge Ryan heard the man suffered “a swollen nose and a cut to his eye.”
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble asked Judge Ryan to accept jurisdiction to deal with the case in the juvenile court. He said the boy intended to plead guilty and has had an alcohol problem for several years.
“Social worker reports indicate it first came to attention of his school where they located a bottle of vodka in his school bag at the age of seven,” the defence lawyer said.
He also added that has tried to tackle his problem and the incident happened at a time when the boy “had been drinking excessively”.
However, Judge Ryan refused jurisdiction and held that the case should go forward to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.
The boy was further remanded in custody and will be served with a book of evidence next month.