Teenager (16) charged with slash attack on professor's son has bail revoked
Published 10/05/2016 | 15:03
A 16-YEAR-OLD boy charged with attacking a young man who suffered serious facial injuries during an incident in Dublin city centre has had his bail revoked.
The boy, who cannot be named because he is minor, was granted bail on Friday with strict conditions including a ban on going to Dublin city-centre but he was arrested there again, within hours of getting released, for possessing a knife.
He had been originally charged with assault causing harm to Andrew Cusack (21), who was taken to St James's Hospital to be treated for lacerations to his face following the alleged incident in the early hours of May 2 at Dame Lane.
At the boy's first hearing on Friday, the court heard the assault case is to involve “an awful lot of CCTV as well”. Mr Cusack is the son of Professor Stephen Cusack, an expert on emergency medicine at UCC.
However, on Friday evening the teen was arrested for possessing a knife in Temple Bar, Judge John O'Connor heard at the teen's latest hearing at the Dublin Children's Court.
Judge O'Connor remanded the teenager in custody to appear again next week.
Gda Keith Connors had told Judge O'Connor that the boy was cautioned and “he made no reply” to the assault charge.
The teenager, who was accompanied to court by his mother, had been ordered to stay out of Dublin 1 and Dublin 2 areas; to reside at his family home; observe a curfew there from 9pm to 8am daily; sign on three days a week at his local Garda station; and to “abstain from alcohol and non prescribed medication”.
He had also told the judge he understood the terms. A decision will be made next month as to whether he will be readmitted to bail.
Judge O'Connor has made an order for disclosure of prosecution evidence to the defence which is to include medical reports. The garda has said he would comply and that “there is an awful lot of CCTV as well”.
The boy has not yet entered a plea to the charge. Directions from the DPP are required and a decision has yet to be made as to whether the case will remain the Children's Court or instead be sent forward to the Circuit Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.