independent

Sunday 20 April 2014

Teenage burglar suspect released as no room in detention centre

A TEENAGE burglary and car theft suspect, who avoided custody due to the shortage of juvenile detention spaces, was again remanded on continuing bail.

The 16-year-old boy is accused of criminal damage to a garda patrol van as well as a car theft on November 7 last, at Greenfield Road, in Sutton, Dublin 13.

He had already been subject to bail conditions in connection with charges for three burglaries and two motor thefts on September 9 September 11 last, in north Dublin.

He also faces a charge for damaging property at Clontarf Garda station on October 7 last.

Last Friday, at the Dublin Children's Court there had been a garda objection to his bail following the latest alleged offence and as a result of concerns that the boy had broken conditions imposed on him by a judge at an earlier stage.

The teenager, who was not seeking bail, had told the court “I will do my time for taking that chase the other night”.

However, he had to be released after Judge John O'Connor heard that there was no space to hold the 16-year-old who has not yet entered pleas to the charges.

The teenager appeared again at the juvenile court today, where Garda James Nugent said he was seeking a further remand until November 18 to monitor the boy's adherence to his bail terms.

The teenager has been ordered to obey a 9pm to 8am curfew, to reside at his north Dublin home and to stay out of two suburbs in the Dublin 5 area.

Gda Nugent also said directions from the DPP need to be obtained and the boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by his father, was remanded on continuing bail.

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News